donderdag 14 oktober 2010

Walt Kowalski? Valt Kovalski!

As stated in my very first post, I've been thinking a while about doing Polish at school.

We are required to choose 2 optional courses this year (my first choice being Spanish, but sadly we cannot register for that), and I don't want to study a tramontane 3rd language like German (yuck), Tukish (why would anyone?) or Lithuanian (?); nor economics (which I've never understood the logic of; I mean, I give you 2 bucks, you give me 2 bucks, and suddenly, we've got an economy?!?), and because some friends are doing it, I decided to give Polish a shot. Okay, okay, last year, the average grade was about 16/20, but I swear that had very little to do with it. If you catch my drift.

So today, I had my first lesson of Polish.

It was... interesting to say the least. The alphabet and the accompanying pronounciation are absolutely FUBAR, antediluvian words those peculiar Polacks picked up, like politika (try and guess the meaning of that one!), are treated like they're all shiny and new, and, if Polish were a guy, he'd certainly not be dressed to the nines. More like a dreary slumdog, with the obligatory wear, tear and rust on his torn clothes. Kinda like Limburgian.

But apart from all that, those 4 hours seemed to fly by, and I'm quite happy I went for it. It doesn't really have the typical feel of an academic course, but rather a summer course. I don't know how long that feeling will last (in my experience, about 2-3 weeks, followed by a sudden and sickening realization that you should pick up the studying pace by about 4,000%), yet there seems to be something inherently right about it all.

I wonder if that will stay the same. But in the meantime, I'll take that wonderment as a yes.

(Note: if you're wondering, the title refers to both the great movie Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood, hell yeah!), and the fact that /w/ is pronounced as [v] in Polish.)

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Wow, didn't know there still were people who used the acronym FUBAR. I've got to reintegrate it into my vocabulary.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Wrote it just because about a month ago, I watched 'Saving Private Ryan' again (first time I saw it from the beginning to the end, actually). Yeah, I'm 10 years behind on movies.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen