donderdag 7 oktober 2010

The egregious Monday


I didn’t really want to write anything new for today, so for this post, I’ll just put up a short story I wrote one restless summer night. Forgive the random, sometimes overemphasizing kid's point of view, and the unusual (i.e. experimental) narrative style. When I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that, often, the actual story is not too present; instead, you see something entirely different that ultimately intertwines with that bigger storyline. Just think of Jack & Rose vs the Titanic, or Frodo vs. the War for the Ring, or Cpt. John H. Miller's company vs. WWII, etc. This makes a huge event more 'human' and accesible. Well, I tried to emulate this kind of style to the extreme (i.e. you barely get any information on what’s actually going on), and the following is what came out.

Note: if you really don’t get it, go to the Rot 13 site, and copy-paste the following:
Gur zra va gur oynpx pne ner tbireazrag bssvpvnyf jub pnzr gb vasbez gur snzvyl gung gur sngure unq qvrq va gur nggnpx ba Crney Uneobe, ba Qrprzore 7gu, 1941. Gur ‘vasnzl’ ersref gb gur ‘Qrprzore 7gu, n qngr juvpu jvyy yvir va vasnzl’ fcrrpu ol Cerfvqrag S.Q. Ebbfriryg.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 8th, 1941

Dear diary,

Today was a great day. Although I woke up with a headache, it was soon gone and I could happily play in the garden. It’s beginning to look really good. I only wish Daddy was here to see it. But, Mommy works hard on it. We ate candy and played in the sun with Bronco. That silly dog, I love him! I want to build him a new doghouse, but it’s too expensive. Mommy says I have to have 20 dollars, but making money is not easy! Oh well, my 9th birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, so Bronco maybe is going to get his new doghouse after all, shiny and new!

In the afternoon, the strangest thing happened. A car stopped in front of our house. It was black, and the people in it looked so unfriendly. They came inside and Mommy said we had to go upstairs to our bedrooms. But Richard convinced us to eavesdrop. That was so cool! I felt like one of the Hardy Boys! We couldn’t overhear much, but we thought we heard Mommy cry and the men didn’t seem to care. They were so cold and empty. I wonder if that’s what it’s like to be an adult. But those are worries for later, because Daddy always used to say I’d need to eat a lot more cabbage before I can be an adult. When those men were gone, we went back downstairs, but Mommy was all right. She held Jane in her arms and told us not to worry, because everything was going to be all right. Strange thing to say at that moment, don’t you think, dear Diary? I wonder what Daddy would make of it.

I miss him. I wish he was here. It’s been six months since he left in that shiny new coat. I wonder where he is now. Last week, Mommy said he will come home in a few months. I can’t wait to show him the tricks I taught Bronco, and my grades! They’ve been great, with all the As and Bs I’ve been getting!

Oh, before I forget, I looked up “infamy” in the dictionary today. It’s the same as famous, only negative. I wonder why that man said it on the radio and the newspaper has repeated that same line? Richard says I’m too young to understand, but I don’t think he understands it either, and Mommy doesn’t want to talk much. The past few days she’s been awfully quiet. Well, I suppose that will pas over time...

I have to go to sleep now sweet Diary, Richard is bugging me again to put out the lights. Good thing I have such a smart older brother who knows best. I love my life, my family, and Bronco. Yes, I love that good old dog twice!

Much love,

Edward

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten