zondag 28 november 2010

Modern times

Winter wonderland. With November almost gone, a cold cold time is fast approaching. Rejoice those who love Christmas, presents, snowfall and ice-littered vistas; sadden those who love sun, warmth, the beach and miniskirts (M/F). One thing is for sure: the cold, snow and ice will touch everyone in some way or another.

Yesterday evening, I went out. It was quite cold, and although I stayed warmly inside for much of the time, I had to wait outside for a bit. I have to tell you, I’m someone who, even though I like winter, prefers early summer; so I hated that cold with a fever (get it?).

All at once, shivering and shaking, something hit me like a big, falling rock crushing the marble undercroft of a stately cathedral: what was I complaining about? To people everywhere up to fifty years ago, and to many now still, this is and was daily custom, and they never complained. Generation after generation suffered hunger, cold, thirst, sadness, nefarious events and even death. Theirs was a much harder life than I will probably ever know, and they underwent it without complaining. I had indulge cold for 10 minutes, and it already was too much. And I know I’m not alone when I say this; many others would’ve hated it with exactly the same fervor.

Someone I know always states on this topic that we’re ‘raising a generation of faggots’. A new generation of people who can’t fend for themselves. Who always have to enlist the help of someone else. I don’t believe this to be entirely true; just like the baby boomers accused generation X for anything they could find, that generation would definitely like to accuse mine for every and any discrepant value. But, yes, it is true that we’ve, as a society, become softer and less resistant than before. Ill? Just take a little pill. Depressed? Just talk to a shrink. Wanna contact someone? Just pick up your phone. And so on.

Life maybe has become too easy nowadays.


(On a whole 'nother note, I can't help but feel I'm the only one who hasn't seen, and has no intention to see, the new Potter movie. Strange, that.)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten